Links to the Top International Fashion Weeks
As you may know, I’ve been hard pressed to create good quality posts with the birth of our son Lawrence. He is a tiny but precocious little fellow who has kept us on our toes. Since November 15th, my life has felt like one long and unending day. What do you do under heavily sleep deprived conditions? Make fun lists.
Today’s list is particularly good, though. It’s a list of links to all of the major international design weeks (most of which are sponsored by Mercedes for some reason). And heck, I’m from San Francisco, so I had to throw in a link to the San Francisco Design Week even though we all wear hemp sacks here and call that fashion. Honestly who can afford fashion when we have two bedroom apartments at $700,000 to contend with. I guess New Yorkers do this, though. Lucky fuckers.
- The fashion shows presented by Mode a Paris are probably the ones that are really worth attending if you’re going to see any show at all.
- Milan comes in a close second on the European fashion circuit. Consequently, I happen to be there during the spring shows one year and it was a blast walking the cobbled Via Monte Napoleone with dozens of six-foot-tall waifs. I wasn’t quite so interested in fashion at the time as I was in architecture, but had I know of the spectacle of the shows, I would have died to get a show.
- London Fashion Week and Berlin Fashion Week wrap up the top four shows of Europe.
- New York Fashion Week is also a powerful show which has sort of spread into a nationwide phenomenon which includes the Los Angeles Fashion Week and the Miami Fashion Week all under the same major sponsor of Mercedes.
- Of Course, I have to give props to the San Francisco Fashion Week which I hope to see Mercedes as the major sponsor some day (but don’t count on it).
- In Asia, we have two major Fashion Weeks: The Japan Fashion Week and the Australian Fashion Week.
- Finally, a less well known but equally compelling show is the Sao Paulo Fashion Week.
I’m sure I’m missing a ton of other good shows, but the baby calls. For instance, I’m sure there are great shows in places like Spain and the Netherlands where there are compelling fashion houses. Please let me know what I’ve missed in the comments.